True horsemanship is simple and without gadgets.
As a trainer, Kelli believes in taking the time to get a horse "right". This means helping the horse to be willing, confident, trusting and trying. Each horse is handled as an individual.
By giving each horse a strong foundation they are prepared for life whether it is as a competitive horse, trail horse or family horse.
Training the horse, as well as the rider, is Kelli's God-given gift and passion. She lives the cowgirl lifestyle 24 hours a day. Riding, teaching and family is her life - full time.
Horses in training with Kelli go through the steps listed below. We spend as much time as necessary with each step building a solid foundation. Some horses may need a week or two to do the first steps well. Other horses may go through the first several steps in one session.
First, we want to be able to do these things.
Second, we want to practice and do them well.
Finally, we want to accomplish and do them with finesse!
FROM THE GROUND
- Walk, trot, lope with relaxed, balanced gaits
- Turn away from and towards center
- Person directs the horseís feet
- Horse follows a feel
- Respects space
- Horse learns to think not react
- Builds trust, willingness and try
RIDING: FOUNDATION SKILLS / DIRECTING THE FEET
- Direct the hindquarters and one-rein stops
FORWARD AND RELAXED
- Horse should go forward freely and relaxed
- Direct the front feet
HALTS AND TRANSITIONS
RIDING: TRAIL OBSTACLES
- Willingly cross tarps, bridges and water
- Go through cowboy curtains
- Back through Lís and Zís
- Sidepass logs, Lís and Zís
CARRYING and DRAGGING
- Carry slickers and various items
- Drag logs, branches and tires
- Riding in groups
- Riding alone
RIDING: WESTERN DRESSAGE
- Moving forward freely with energy coming from hindquarters
RELAXATION and RYTHMN
- Horse learns to balance naturally at walk, trot and lope traveling straight and in circles.
- Riding with accuracy
- Straight lines and circle
- Willingly moving from the hindquarters with impulsion, trust and confidence
RESULT: A WILLING HORSE with whom you can ACCOMPLISH more than you imagined!
This is Hoss at a Cowboy Race the day before he went home with his owner.
Just wanted to let you know how Hoss and Rob are doing. They are GREAT. Thanks so much for putting such a great foundation on Hoss. Rob and Hoss are learning together and Hoss is ever so patient and willing. Rob rides him everday and they work on a lot of small things but it is adding up to be quite a big change for them both. We took Magic and Hoss to Branched Oak Lake for a trail ride and they did great. Magic is coming along nicely on sidepassing and moving her shoulders, bridling is getting better too. We will see you in Sept. for the next Trail Rider Challenge. Thanks again, have a great weekend, I wish we could come down but I have to work.
All Gods Blessings Rob and Dana